Thursday, June 6, 2013

basement


During my childhood, I used to have recurring bad dreams about tornadoes. We lived in an area that often experienced violent thunderstorms and warnings. I had some sense of safety due to our farmhouse cellar. But I always had a short list in my head of the precious items I would grab to take to the cellar. My dog and Bible were always included.

In my adult life, I have experienced being near the path of tornadoes at least three times. Once while my baby peacefully slept in his crib in our duplex built on a cement slab. Another time when my family made use of our basement for shelter while trees were uprooted on our property. And yet again, while my elderly father and I were driving back to the farmhouse. We knew we were racing against the wind. At one point we saw a small funnel cross the road in front of us. Trees blocked several roads that we wanted to use. When we did reach home, we were greeted with a missing corner of the barn roof and no electricity. A ruined food freezer later that week. Ah, memories.

As I listened to the news, a horrific tornado had demolished much of an Oklahoman town, including schools and medical facilities. I tear up and get goose bumps. I also wonder, why would you want to rebuild in such a place? Yet I realize that many people really don’t have money or connections elsewhere. That’s home, as dangerous as it might become. And it really is life on this earth.

Some of my swirling thoughts include a renewed awareness of the awesome power of nature. People think they are in control of their lives, their property, or this world. Occasionally we are smacked in the face with the fierceness of climate, earth core, or asteroid showers. There is no Tower of Babel to provide ultimate safety.

I am also aware that many people live in the midst of relational and emotional tornadoes every day. It’s tearing them apart, destroying their lives. Yet they tend to rebuild on the same foundations for the second or third time. Losing health, children, or sanity.

We don’t know what’s coming next — down our streets or into our lives. I don’t pretend to understand why some people’s lives or families are spared from disasters. Yet I chose to build my life on the solid rock of Jesus Christ. He has promised me life beyond anything that happens on this earth. Peace in the midst of storm.

I still wish I had a basement.

“Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock.” (Matthew 7:24 NIV).

-jerome p ngowi

No comments:

Post a Comment