Tuesday, September 24, 2013

never


"Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you." Hebrews 13:5

In my counseling training I was advised to tell the client, especially in marriage counseling, to avoid the words "always" and "never."   "You always say..."    "You never do..."    Use of those words creates a a no win situation. If you think, say or feel that a person "always" and/or "never" does a certain thing, there is not much room for grace, and not much for for hope.

Although there is significant wisdom in that teaching, I am glad our Lord was above my training.

When I read, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you." I find hope.
It gives me hope to know that no matter how afraid, confused, and forgotten I may feel, He is always with me.

When I read, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you." I find peace.
It gives me peace to know that no matter how how fragile, foolish, and flippant I may be toward Him, He will never leave me.

When I read, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you."  I find comfort.
It gives me great comfort knowing that although others will die, depart, and deny me, God will never leave me.

When I read, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you." I find joy.
It gives me great joy when I ponder the fact that I do not have to worry how He my respond to me tomorrowbecause He will respond to me tomorrow the same way He responded to me yesterday and today, He did not leave me. He will not leave me.

When I read, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you." I find strength.
It gives me are new and a renewed strength when I consider that no matter how fearful I am, no matter how big of a failure I may be, and not matter how fatigued I may become, He will not leave me and he will not forsake me.

When I read, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you." I find relief.
Whew! What a relief I have when I accept the reality that not matter what, no matter where, and no matter why He will never leave me and He will never forsake me.

When I read, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you."  I realize you and I are extremely blessed because we never have to doubt where He is or how He feels about us.  He tells us, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you."  He made a promise we can trust and a promise He will keep.

He will never leave us; never forsake us. Thank You Father.
-tom norvell

No comments:

Post a Comment