Tuesday, November 12, 2019

love

My five-year-old Shih Tzu, Mamie, is the sweetest dog you'll ever meet. She's easy-going, gentle, never upset. She loves to snuggle and eat jerky. She's content in any situation but loves riding in a car with her head out the window better than almost anything. It took her years to master sneaking like a spy, but she can do it now. Sorta. Mamie is practically perfect in every way except the ability to roll over on command. She doesn't do that yet.

Mamie's kind to everyone but especially to Max the Cat, AKA Biting Cat. He's a big, beautiful, long-haired cat who sports dreadlocks in the winter and yowls all the time. He loves to bite. Our relationship is strained as a result.

I'm very cautious about Biting Cat because he's latched on to my leg more than once. Mamie, however, treats him like a long-lost friend every time she sees him. If I were her, I'd bite him as soon as he walked my way, but not Mamie. A few months ago, Mamie passed by him and he pounced, flipped her over and had her by the neck, head buried in her fur, in an instant. I managed to rescue Mamie but it was no small feat.

Mamie was indignant and upset with Biting Cat for a few moments after his attack. The next day, she was as sweet as ever. She greeted him as if he had not assaulted her the day before. She rubbed him with her head and treated him the same as ever. `

She's always nice. Yesterday, it was raining like crazy but Mamie and Maggie both needed to go outside. I put their pink raincoats on them and sent them to do their business. They looked sooo cute! Maggie headed straight to the grass to do what must be done. Mamie, however, paused to offer Mamie-love to Biting Cat. She stood in the rain and greeted him with enthusiasm. "Mamie, you're getting wet. Do your business and leave that mean cat alone!" I told her in no uncertain terms. She turned my way and, believe it or not, smiled at me before giving Biting Cat one more nuzzle.

I watched her love on the cat who's so mean and marveled at her ability to forgive and love him anyway. My love for him failed a long time ago but Mamie's love never fails. Friend or foe, ally or enemy. She loves everyone the same whether it changes them or not. Including attack cats. 

This is my commandment, that you love one another, just as I have loved you. John 15:12

As I watch sweet Mamie pour out puppy-love with reckless abandon, I'm cut to the core with conviction. I don't always love the way she does. I'm not always as sweet-natured and I'm much more careful with people I view as unpredictable.

I wonder, though...what would life be like if I loved without hesitation and forgave without delay? I'd be more like Jesus. I'm sure of that.

Take a step closer:
1. What about you? Do you struggle with love and forgiveness? Maybe you need to embrace the command of Jesus to love as He loves... even when it's hard. I know I do, so let's do it together.
2. Today, let's think of one person we haven't loved quite as well as we should. Let's ask our Lord to help us love them, even if it's a hard situation. Let's love in the same way, and with the same forgiveness, He loves. It may not change our "enemy" but it will do a beautiful work in us.
Thanks for walking this path with me
Grace and peace,
-leanna

No comments:

Post a Comment