Friday, September 17, 2021

......breaks

Jesus traveled through all the towns and villages of that area, teaching in the synagogues and announcing the Good News about the Kingdom. And he healed every kind of disease and illness. When he saw the crowds, he had compassion on them because they were confused and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd. Matthew 9:35-36

With all that has been on the news lately, I find myself overwhelmed with feelings. I've been trying to think about what to say about it all. The situation is just devastating and there are plenty of opinions as to what we should or shouldn't do next, but instead of adding to the noise, I want to take a moment to hear God in the midst of it.

It is hard to see what is happening around the world and feeling like there is so little I can do to help. All the lives lost, the violence, the desperation, the grief… I asked the Lord "What can I do?!" That's when the words, "break my heart for what breaks yours" came to mind. I had previously heard those words sung by Hillsong in their song "Hosanna" and as I was talking to the Lord, he brought them to memory.

In the above verse, we see Jesus' heart. He had compassion on the crowds because they were confused and helpless… much like what I see on the news these days. I may not be able to personally be with every person who is suffering, but Jesus is already there! When we truly understand Jesus' heart, we can pray more effectively for others. We can intercede on their behalf to our Heavenly Father who is in all places. We can come to a place where our personal opinions don't matter as much as the connection we can have with Jesus as we ask Him to break our hearts for what breaks His. Many times, praying in accordance with the heart of God is the most powerful thing you and I can do to help our hurting world.

Dear God, I don't know where to begin, but coming before you is always the best place to start. So much loss, tragedy, pain. I pray that my heart would break for the things that break your heart. I pray that you would fill me with compassion for others regardless of personal opinions. Please show me the next steps, whether big or small, on how I can be your hands and feet in our hurting world. Please provide comfort and peace to the many families who are grieving and suffering. Help me to love my neighbor, both next door and around the world. Thank you for hearing and answering my prayer, in Jesus' name.
-dick innes

No comments:

Post a Comment