Wednesday, May 22, 2013

judge


I recently made a judgment call about a building. It may not seem like such a big deal, but it was to me. This building looked as if it had been deserted. Weeds lined the cracked sidewalk surrounding it. I noticed two faded signs that indicated a flea market and a furniture stripping business.

I had been told this address had one of the best ice cream shops around. I must have gotten the wrong address. There were no cars around the building, so signs of life. THIS HAD TO BE A MISTAKE.



I went to the front door and pulled. At first I thought the door was locked. I gave a good yank and the door gave a loud pop and opened up. Coming in out of the sun I thought I saw piles of debris on either side of the entrance. I was fairly certain this place would have no ice cream (at least none that I would want to eat). However, my family and I walked on and the hallway split out in two different directions, so we followed the one that went to the right. Our eyes were greeted with items of nostalgic quality that were available for purchase at reasonable prices.

We turned left and found more items for sale and a long table with place settings for twenty. I noticed an old phone booth further into the room. It was a few decades old and fully restored. So far I had seen no one and was concerned that this place was not even open. Then I heard voices. I followed them and walked through a doorway that sent me back to a by-gone era. A jukebox played only songs from the 50's and 60's and a quarter would allow you to select three recordings. Old arcade games (mechanical) were available (2 plays for a quarter).

A group of twenty or so people sat in a series of booths having supper and eating ice cream. The old soda fountain looked new and hard ice cream was available in abundance. Oak accents were the hallmark of this delightful shop.

They served some of the best ice cream I have ever had. It was one of the most memorable locations I have ever been to. My son, Ryan loved the model train displays that allowed him to run the trains in both directions. He didn't want to leave.

I asked the owner why he didn't advertise or put a sign out to let people know about the treasure inside. He told me in a very unassuming way, "I don't believe I will ever advertise. If I did, this might just become work. I'm happy just the way things are."

No fancy signs, no manicured landscape. Nothing to let you know what was inside. Many pass by and either never notice the building or wonder when the city will get around to tearing it down.

But they've never seen what's inside.

A man or woman passes us by. They don't look like much. Probably not someone we would invite home for dinner. Certainly, not someone we would intentionally choose as a friend.

But we've never seen what's inside.

"Man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart" (I Sam. 16:7).

Father, I am guilty of making judgment calls about people because of how they dress or what they look like. I have been known to reject the possibility of getting to know them and I have grieved You in the process.  Help me to show Your love to them and never let how they look to me be the final judgment of a person You love and made in Your image. Help me to be approachable and diligent in loving people in Your name. I want to see people through Your perfect vision, instead of my clouded, spiritually impaired eyes.

It should not surprise me Lord, if that person may have much to share with me about You. I don't want to miss the opportunities you give me to love others.

In the name of the only Judge whose opinion truly counts, Jesus Christ, Amen.
-Glenn A. Hascall


No comments:

Post a Comment