Friday, October 10, 2014

understood


  The following joke has been around for many years:

     The inscription on the metal bands used by the U.S. Department of the Interior to tag migratory birds has been changed.  The bands used to bear the address of the Washington Biological Survey, abbreviated

     Wash.  Biol.  Surv.

     until the agency received the following letter from an Arkansas camper:

     "Dear Sirs:  While camping last week I shot one of your birds.  I think it was a crow.  I followed the cooking instructions on the leg tag and I want to tell you it was horrible."

     The bands are now marked Fish and Wildlife Service.

     It's frustrating to be misunderstood.  We go to great lengths to keep from being misunderstood.  And we want to be understood, not only when we speak or try to communicate with others, but also as a person.

     A common complaint is, "Nobody understands me!" which may simply be another way of saying, "Nobody cares enough about me to get to know me!"  But there is someone who understands us.

     David said, "O LORD, You have searched me and known me.  You know my sitting down and my rising up; You understand my thought afar off.  You comprehend my path and my lying down, and are acquainted with all my ways." (Psalm 139:1-3)

     Father, we take such comfort in knowing that you understand us, even better than we understand ourselves.  There is no chance of putting up a front to hide from you because you are not only our Creator, but also our constant companion.  Thank you for understanding us when no else does.  


In Jesus' name
-alan smith

No comments:

Post a Comment