Tuesday, November 10, 2015

bride

My five-year-old grandnephew was obviously worried as he looked down the long aisle of the church where his aunt was to be married the following day. His grandmother had an idea. "I think I'll give a prize to the person who does the best job tomorrow," she told him.

We were all holding our breath the next day, but when it was time, the ringbearer performed without a hitch.

When his grandmother told him he had won the prize, he was both excited and relieved.  "I was pretty sure I had it," he admitted, "until Aunt Dana came in wearing that white dress and the horn was blowing.  Then I started thinking she might win!"
                        By Barbara Lee in Christianity Today, Copyright (c) 1997

There's something about a woman on her wedding day that causes even a young ringbearer to sit up and take notice!  I have presided at many weddings and have never failed to be in awe of the beauty of the bride as she comes down the aisle.  And every groom has stood at my side, thinking, "That's the most beautiful woman in the whole world!" with a heart bursting with love and joy.

In the book of Revelation, John describes the uniting of Christians with Jesus Christ in this way:

"Then I, John, saw the holy city, New Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.....Then one of the seven angels....talked to me, saying, 'Come, I will show you the bride, the Lamb's wife.' " (Rev. 21:1,9)

Consider this:  when we are joined with Christ, he will view us in the very same way that a groom views his bride coming down the aisle.  His heart will be bursting with joy knowing that he is being united with the one he loves with all his heart.  And he will regard his church as the most beautiful thing on the face of this earth.  That look you've seen on the faces of grooms at countless weddings will be on the face of our Savior!

That wedding day is coming -- are you getting yourself ready?
-alan smith

No comments:

Post a Comment