Wednesday, August 17, 2016

? know


"When my son was a small boy playing with his buddies in the back yard, I overheard them talking one day -- and the conversation was, amusingly, one of those 'My dad can whip your dad' routines.

"I heard one boy proudly say, 'My dad knows the mayor of our town!' Then I heard another say, 'That's nothing -- my dad knows the governor of our state!" Wondering what was coming next in the 'program of bragging,' I presently heard a wonderfully familiar voice (that of my own little son), saying, 'That's nothing -- my dad knows God!"

"I swiftly slipped away from my place of eavesdropping with tears running down my cheeks. I dropped on my knees in my room and prayed earnestly and gratefully, 'Oh, God, I pray that my boy will always be able to say, "My dad knows God." ' "
by Hilding Halverson

We do tend to take pride in who we know, don't we? "I went to school with Michael Jordan." "I grew up with Faith Hill." "I once shook hands with Mel Gibson." There is a sense in which we take on some of the prestige and the importance of those whom we know.

Of all the people you may know, I pray that God is one of them.

"Now by this we know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments." (I John 2:3)

No comments:

Post a Comment