Tuesday, August 16, 2016

tight


I heard about a preacher/farmer who bought a brand new pair of boots. However, the boots turned out to be a tad too tight. The bootmaker offered to stretch them so they would fit.

"You'll not stretch these boots an inch!", insisted the man. "You see, I start every morning before sunrise checking on some ornery cows that have knocked down a fence or caused some other trouble. Then I go to the office and listen to all of the members complain about this and that. Then I come home to hear my wife tell me what chores I haven't gotten done around the house. When I get ready for bed and I take off those tight boots....Well, some days that's the only pleasure I have!"

What is it that gives you pleasure at the end of the day? Perhaps it's going home to a warm and cozy house. A lazy-boy recliner and TV remote? A comfortable bed? Perhaps it's going home to a loving family, a spouse and children who love you unconditionally. There's nothing like the little arms of your children around your neck to know the meaning of pleasure.

David offers one more suggestion:

"I said to the LORD, 'You are my Lord. Every good thing I have comes from you.'...The LORD is all I need. He takes care of me.....I praise the LORD because he advises me. Even at night, I feel his leading. I keep the LORD before me always. Because he is close by my side, I will not be hurt....You will teach me how to live a holy life. Being with you will fill me with joy; at your right hand I will find pleasure forever." (Psalm 16:2,5,7-8,11, NCV)

May you know the pleasure today of being with God (it's even better than taking off tight boots at the end of the day!).

No comments:

Post a Comment