Tuesday, January 3, 2017

warm

From the moment I opened the door the frigid air and biting wind chilled my entire body. I wanted desperately to be warm againto leave this cold behind and bask in the warmth of a fire. I raced into the car and shut the door, still chattering. Out my window I watched the snow fall on the already white ground. Everything around me testified to the freezing temperatures. 

As I tried to de-thaw, a question hit me by surprise. Could it be that more than just my physical body suffered from the cold? Had my heart also grown cold? Id been writing and telling others about Gods love, yet in all honesty I wasnt basking in Gods presence like I ought. Could my heart, as well as my fingers, really be turning blue? 

Throughout our lives, we battle cold hearts. The icicles of pride cling to us. The cares and worries of this world drench us in freezing rain. And although our spiritual knowledge glistens to others much like a fresh blanket of snow glistens in the sunlight, our hearts, like that same field of snow, are actually cold and on the verge of freezing. 

The remedy to a cold heart is simple. We need to warm our hearts in Gods love! 
Were all familiar with John 3:16, For God so loved the world that He sent His only begotten Son. But have we let Gods love warm our hearts to the very core? Will we let His love melt away all our pride, fears, and desires? 

Sadly, we often refuse to let Gods love transform us. We see His love from a distance. We talk about the glow of His fire, yet fail to approach it ourselves. We often dont let Gods love transform us because were unaware that we need Gods warmth. Or maybe we dont bask in Gods love because we dont want to see ourselves as God sees us. Gods love, like a brilliant fire, will expose our deepest thoughts. And in light of Gods love, even our good thoughts and deeds appear filthy and sin-infested. Are we willing to admit we have nothing but frozen hearts in need of God? 

Coming to Gods great love involves letting our old thoughts and feelings melt away. Gods love dissolves our fears and pride. His love even brings pain as His feelings begin to circulate through our life. Yet if well only let it, Gods love will impart His life and health to our cold hearts. Why do we insist on freezing when we weve been invited to snuggle next to the fire? 

Next time the frigid wind chills your body, remember that your heart doesnt need to chatter. Warm your heart in Gods love!

No comments:

Post a Comment