Wednesday, January 15, 2020

goal

The ultimate goal of transformation is that we would be like Jesus.  Jesus came to earth, God in flesh, not only to die for us, but to live for us. His life provides a clear illustration of what our lives are to look like.
  
"I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you." (John 13:15)
  
"Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus" (Philippians 2:5)
  
"To this you were called, because Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example that you should follow in His steps." (1 Peter 2:21)
  
These verses point out Jesus' humility, servant heart and willingness to suffer for doing what is right. As Jesus does His transforming work in us, these characteristics become more evident in us.
  
Thus, every year, every month, every week, the question we should ask ourselves is, "Am I more patient, kinder, more loving, and more gracious; am I more like Jesus than I was last year, month or week?"  If the answer is no, I urge you to stop thinking in terms of what you need to do, like going to church more regularly or helping the poor more.
  
Those things are important, but the real follow up question is, "What have I not surrendered to God?"
  
Like the people in the Bible whose lives were transformed by their encounter with Jesus, we will be changed if we truly meet with God and surrender to Him.
  
Not, we might be changed.
  
Not, hopefully we'll change.
  
Rather, we will be changed.
  
Instead of trusting in our ability to change ourselves with hard work, we need to start believing that it is God alone who changes lives.
  
~God, I want to be like Jesus. I know I can't do it on my own; please help me to allow you to work in my life.
-georgia b'kuname

No comments:

Post a Comment