Thursday, July 8, 2021

....available

A man saw a job ad posted on a construction site, "Handy man wanted; apply within", so he went in to speak with the foreman.
     "Can you drive a Bobcat?" the foreman asks.   "No."
     "Can you plaster?"  "No."
     "Have you ever done any carpentry?"  "No."
     "If you don't mind me asking," says the foreman, "what's so handy about you?" 
     "Well, I only live about five minutes down the road..."

It has been said that "The greatest ability is availability."  It is certainly true that some of the greatest members of the kingdom of God are not those with the most talents and abilities.  Rather, they are people who have made themselves available.  They are always there when you need them, always willing to see the need and respond.

No matter what skills you may have, you can't be helpful to someone else unless you are available.  You can't help a friend who is hurting unless you are available.  You can't lend a listening ear unless you are available.  You can't show the love of Christ to those who are in need unless you are available.  One thing I have learned through the years... what people remember most about people that they love is - that they were there for them when they needed them.  

Availability.

I am reminded of Isaiah who felt very unworthy to the task to which God had called him, but he said, "Here am I!  Send me."  Isaiah 6:8.  Wherever you need me to go, whatever you need me to do, I'm here and I'm available.

May that be our daily attitude toward God, and toward those around us -- "Here am I!  I'm available." 
-david langerfeld

No comments:

Post a Comment