Friday, January 28, 2022

....sealed

Do you have difficulty opening those child-proofed packages? Or how about items that have been shrink-wrapped? I sure do. I find them very frustrating; and after a few futile minutes, I head for the household scissors, feeling weak and useless. "I can't even open a package of meat!"

I know there are safety and health issues involved, but such packaging can sure build aggravation in those trying to retrieve the contents. There is, however, a seal, a form of shrink-wrap that gives a feeling of peace and protection. Ephesians 4:30 says: "And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God by Whom you have been sealed for the day of redemption."

The Greek word for seal is *sphragizo* meaning to close up and make fast with a seal; to set a seal or mark on a thing as a token of authenticity or approval. We belong to God once we have asked Christ into our hearts. He has put His mark of ownership on us and has set His Holy Spirit in our hearts. We are sealed and protected from the evil one. Yes, we can be oppressed, but we can never be possessed. We are shrink-wrapped, protected from the entrance of any other entity.

As life issues claim our attention, we can easily forget we are not our own. We grieve the Spirit within by not listening to that still, small voice, by doing and saying things contrary to the Word of God. We become fearful, perhaps rebellious, trying to fill the emptiness with things of the world. All to no avail. We need to be reminded that God owns us and that all of His commandments are for our good. His plan for us is for a hope and a joy-filled future. He loves us, and the Holy Spirit's seal on us is a deposit guaranteeing more good things to come. To be so sealed in God's all-powerful wrap is an awesome thought indeed.

Several years ago, as I awaited surgery, I flipped open my Bible and God spoke to my heart. "Fear Not. I have redeemed you. I have called you by your name. *You are Mine*." As I meditated on those words, fear fled and God's peace enveloped me--a timely reminder from a loving Heavenly Father.

Commercial, man-made shrink-wrap may cause angst and turmoil, but God's seal has wrapped us in loving arms of forgiveness, mercy and protection. We can rest in peace, assured He who owns us is able to present us unblemished, before the presence of His glory with exceeding joy.

"Now He who establishes us with you in Christ and has anointed us is God, who also has sealed us and given us the Spirit in our hearts as a guarantee." 2 Corinthians 1:21-22
-pat earl

No comments:

Post a Comment