Sunday, January 22, 2023

....come

Come to me, all you who are weary and heavy-burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light. Matthew 11:28-30

What is the invitation to the laboring and heavy laden? Jesus says, "Come unto me."  I love that word "Come."  To me it seems full of grace, mercy and encouragement. "Come now," says the Lord in Isaiah, "and let us reason together: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be white as snow."

Come is the last word in the Bible to sinners. "The Spirit and the Bride say, Come."  Revelation 22:17 
Jesus does not say, "Go and get ready."  - This is the word of the Pharisee and self-righteous.
Jesus does not say "Go and work out a righteousness. Do this and that, and you will be saved."
Jesus says, "Come".

Come is a word of merciful invitation. 
It seems to say, "I want you to escape the wrath to come. I am not willing that any should perish. I have no pleasure in death. I would gladly have all men saved, and I offer all the water of life freely. So come to Me."

Come is a word of gracious expectation. 
It seems to say, "I am here waiting for you. I sit on my mercy-seat expecting you to come. I wait to be gracious. I wait for more sinners to come in before I close the door. I want more names written down in the book of life before it is closed forever. So come to Me."

Come is a word of kind encouragement. 
It seems to say, I have treasures to give to you if you will only receive them. I have that to give which makes it worth while to come: a free pardon, a robe of righteousness, a new heart.  So come to Me.

Come and be reconciled to God
Come with all your sins, however many they may be. If you come to Him they will be taken away. 
Come just as you are. You feel unfit; you say you are not good enough. The worse you think of yourself, the better prepared you are. 

Christ is not a Savior of those who think they are righteous - but of sinners. I ask you to come now. No other time is your own. 
Come now to Christ.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment