Friday, March 8, 2013

loss


I know it is still near enough to Christmas for you to think of that, but
  that is not the point I am trying to make here. It's that sometimes life
  gives you a surprise and you discover a gift you never knew you had. God's
  word puts it this way, "And we know that God causes everything to work
  together for the good of those who love God and are called according to
  his purpose for them." (Romans 8:28, NLT)

  About 20 years ago when we were missionaries to Kenya, East Africa I lost
  about 50% of my hearing. I had malaria (this was one of many times) and
  the doctor put me on pure quinine for an extended period of time. The
  results were that it burned out the nerves in my ears and thus the hearing
  loss.

  I never really thought much about it; you just live with it and get on
  with life. Thankfully the latest pair of digital hearing aids have
  restored my hearing to almost normal levels.

  Through the years as I struggled to stay in touch with the world I slowly
  picked up the ability to read lips. Granted, not as well as someone who
  had actual training, but enough to pick up lots of lost words and
  conversations. Again, this is not something I ever thought about; it just
  was part of life.

  We have had one of our elderly members of our church in the hospital for
  the past two weeks, much of that time in an induced coma. She is out of
  the coma and beginning a very difficult recovery period. She has a
  tracheotomy which keeps her from being able to speak and is unable to
  control a pencil well enough to write.

  When my wife and I visited yesterday, this sister was trying
  unsuccessfully to communicate. It was frustrating to her and to her family
  and the nurses. What a surprise when I discovered that I could read her
  lips and make her needs known to the nurses and her family. I admit it was
  a struggle and she had to say some of the words several times, but we
  found out where she was hurting and what she needed at the time and were
  able to get her some help. We even were able to answer some of her
  questions.

  I wonder how many of you who read these words have secret or maybe hidden
  gifts, simply because you have never tried to use them. Or perhaps you
  have never been forced into a situation where they can be put to use.
  Maybe you need to get out of your comfort zone and try to expand your
  gifts.

  I wonder what God has prepared for you in your life? What's your secret
  gift? You see, even when things seem like they are a disaster in your
  life, there can be a hidden (secret) gift found there. Maybe you need to
  try new things, maybe things you are just a little hesitant to try. The
  results may surprise you as it did me! A hearing impairment as a blessing
  to someone else, I never would have thought of that! But as Paul said, "we
  know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who
  love God…"

  Russ Lawson

No comments:

Post a Comment