Tuesday, February 17, 2015

living


 How is life treating you? My life has been a little more hectic than normal the past couple of weeks. Not only are my wife and I getting settled into a new home, I am involved in a new ministry position. On top of unpacking and trying to find all the things that have disappeared I am trying to figure out a new schedule that works for me and the church.

  In the first two weeks with our new church I have had the privilege of ministering to two families in our congregation who have had deaths in their families. I am busier than I have been for awhile and loving it! Being involved in the lives of others and ministering for Christ is where my heart is at. It's what gives my life purpose and uses the gifts with which God has blessed me.

  What gives you a sense of fulfillment and purpose? What makes your life worth living and gives your life meaning?

  I was reminded of an old story today about a rich Texas rancher who died. His will stipulated that he be buried in a brand new Cadillac. The special arrangements were made and the day of the burial arrived. As the old rancher was being lowered into the ground sitting behind the wheel of his Cadillac and one of the attendants commented, "Wow! Now that is really living!"

  People have funny ideas of what "real living" is all about, don't they? We spend thousands of dollars to put that part of us that used to live into the ground and think that it really makes a difference. Somewhere along the line (of life) we have forgotten the point, that it is how you live that makes the difference, not how you are buried.

  The apostle Paul had some important things to say about life and death, but notice this one comment he wrote concerning his own life and death: "I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed, but will have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death."

  "For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose? I do not know! I am torn between the two: I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far; but it is more necessary for you that I remain in the body. Convinced of this, I know that I will remain, and I will continue with all of you for your progress and joy in the faith, so that through my being with you again your joy in Christ Jesus will overflow on account of me." (Philippians 1:20-26, NIV)

  I'm reminded of an old saying I heard in my younger days working on the farm. An old farmer who was told he must slow down and take it easy said; "I would rather die behind the plow than in a rocking chair".

  My point in all of this is, that it is far better for us to live in a way that will bless others, serve God and give us eternal life than to have lavish funeral. It is discovering that, which gives purpose to life, that which allows you to
  fulfill whatever mission God has prepared for you in life, that makes your life a "Now that's really living" life.
-russ lawson

No comments:

Post a Comment