Wednesday, April 5, 2017

forced


An investment counselor went out on her own. She was shrewd and
diligent, so business kept coming in, and pretty soon she realized she
needed an in-house counsel, so she began interviewing young lawyers.

"As I'm sure you can understand," she started off with one of the first
applicants, "in a business like this, our personal integrity must be beyond
question." She leaned forward. "Mr. Peterson, are you an *honest* lawyer?"

"Honest?" replied the job prospect. "Let me tell you something about
honesty. Why, I'm so honest that my father lent me fifteen thousand dollars
for my education and I paid back every penny the minute I tried my very
first case."

"Impressive..... And what sort of case was that?"

The lawyer squirmed in his seat and admitted, "He sued me for the
money."

Sometimes we do something good because it's the right thing to do. And
sometimes we do the right thing simply because we have no choice. The
difference will manifest itself in our lives at some point, though, when we
do have a choice.

I see it happen all the time with college students. For years, they
attended church with Mom and Dad. But as soon as they are on their own,
making their own decisions, it becomes evident whether they attended all
those years because it was the right thing to do or because they were forced
to go.

What is your motivation? May we all seek to have the attitude of
David:

"I rejoice at Your word as one who finds great treasure....I love Your
law.....My soul keeps your testimonies and I love them exceedingly.....Let
Your hand become my help, for I have chosen Your precepts. I long for Your
salvation, O Lord, and Your law is my delight." (Psa. 119:162,163b,167,
173-174)

No comments:

Post a Comment