Wednesday, February 20, 2013

..times..



  "In troubled times, how often do you first look to yourself or others for
  answers before looking to God? If you look to God and wait for Him, He
  will see you through. Put God first and wait for Him to act on your
  behalf." - Dr. Warren Wiersbe

  In Matthew 16:13-15, Jesus asked His disciples -"...Whom do men say that I
  the Son of man am? And they said, Some say that Thou art John the Baptist;
  some, Elijah; and others, Jeremiah, or one of the prophets. He saith unto
  them, But whom say ye that I am?"

  Peter had his vision on God and not man. He wasn't comparing Jesus to
  other men. Hence, the Father was able to reveal to him Who Jesus really
  was - "Thou art the Christ, the Son of the Living God" (Matthew 16:16)

. When we get our focus on Jesus alone, then the Father is able to take us
  from the surface level of knowing Who He is to an heavenly eternal vision
  of Him - which is what we desperately need in these final hours of time.

  In a time of crises, a fresh revelation (or unveiling) of Jesus is needed.

  When we move over to Psalm 62, we find that - like Peter - David had a
  revelation of God that "flesh and blood did not reveal" but the "Father
  Which is in heaven" (Matthew 16:17). In threatening times, he reflected
  great composure. How was this possible? The dominant note of trust and
  confidence evident throughout this Psalm tells the story.

  "Truly my soul waiteth upon God: from Him cometh my salvation.

  He only is my rock and my salvation; He is my defense; I shall not be
  greatly moved...

  My soul, wait thou only upon God; for my expectation is from Him.

  He only is my rock and my salvation: He is my defense; I shall not be
  moved." (Psalm 62:1-2,5-6)

  The key to the serene confidence as displayed in these verses of Scripture
  lies in the particle - "ak" - which occurs six times in the Psalm - three
  times as the first word of the verse - and is interpreted as - "only" -
  with "truly" and "only" being the same word.

  David knew that the human heart was prone to divide its confidence between
  God and the creature. At times, it would be tempted to look to the arm of
  flesh first, and when that failed, then look to God.

  However, in using the word - "only" - in a restrictive way and with a
  lively conviction and more blessed certainty, he declared that God "truly"
  and "only" was his object of trust.

  His soul was hushed into a perfect resignation - "truly waiteth upon God."
  His was a settled submission. Amid all of the tossing conflicts and the
  disturbing alarms, he found a home of sweet repose in his God.  He
  "waited" patiently in the midst of danger - remaining still and allowing
  the Lord to work - thus achieving an unshakable calm in a time of turmoil
  and trouble.

  Surely and certainly - "truly" and "only" - he enjoyed God's peace in the
  midst of life's most threatening moments.

  At this point, consider Isaiah 40:8 which tells us -"The grass withereth,
  the flower fadeth: but the word of our God shall stand for ever."

  Now, consider the words of Manford George Gutzke - "The thing we are to
  understand is that flesh is weak. All flesh is like grass. The best thing
  the human being can do is not good enough. It will not last for eternity.
  The Word of our God will stand for ever. The arm of flesh will fail; we
  should put our trust in Almighty God. He alone is able."

  In Psalm 62, David said it in this way - "Truly (only) my soul waiteth
        upon God: from Him cometh my salvation. He only is my rock and my
        salvation; He is my defense; I shall not be greatly moved. My soul,
        wait thou only upon God... He only is my rock and my salvation: He is
        my defense; I shall not be moved."

  As Christians, we need to develop the "only the Lord" mentality -

  Only the Lord can see me through!

  Only the Lord is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that I can ask
        or think.

  Only the Lord can work the miraculous!
  Only the Lord can turn my situation around!
  Only the Lord can provide what I need!
  Only the Lord can bring me out of the bondage that I am in!
  Only the Lord can deliver and rescue me!
  Only the Lord can make me what I should be!
  Only the Lord can erase the hurtful memories of the past, heal my mind,
        and restore me to a brand new start!
  Only the Lord can reverse the curse!
  Only the Lord can change the heart!
  Only the Lord can turn back the forces of evil!
  Only the Lord can make something live again!
  Only the Lord can solve the problem!
  Only the Lord can answer the question!
  Only the Lord can make it happen!
  Only the Lord...Only the Lord...Only the Lord ...

  With his eyes on God alone, David received a revelation from the Father -
  "flesh and blood did not reveal this unto you, but my Father which is in
  heaven." As a result, in the face of threatening times, he was able to
  confidently say - "He only is...My soul waits only upon God...He only
  is..." His focus was strictly on the Lord - not on man and certainly not
  on himself.

  Are you facing threatening times? Then you need the same "revelation" -
  the same "focus" to carry you through!

  "He only is my rock..."

  Psalm 18:31 inquires - "...who is a rock save our God?"
  Psalm 27:5 says - "He shall set me upon a rock."
  Psalm 28:1 says - "Unto Thee will I cry, O LORD my rock..."
  Psalm 31:2 says - "...be Thou my strong rock..."
  Psalm 61:2 says -"...lead me to the rock that is higher than I." Psalm
  62:7 says -"In God is...the rock of my strength..."
  Psalm 89:26 says -"He shall cry unto me, Thou art...the rock of my
    salvation."
  Psalm 94:22 says - "...my God is the rock of my refuge."
  Psalm 95:1 says - "...make a joyful noise to the rock of our salvation."

  This "rock" furnishes security in danger like none other can. It puts you
  out of the reach of your enemies and their fiery darts. It is the origin
  or fountain of all good. It is the immovable foundation of all  hopes. It
  is a stronghold in every hour of danger. It is an immutable, immovable,
  impregnable, and sublime resort. It is called the "rock that is higher
  than I" - another name for God's power and promises. It is the refuge that
  cannot be successfully assailed. It is the strongest support known among
  men. It is what bore up David and made him stand firm - and will do so for
  every believer. It is the strong ground of the Christian's confidence and
  the basis of his hope. It is that against which the gates of hell cannot
  prevail.

  "He only is...my salvation..."

  God was David's "only" liberty, deliverance, victory, aid, prosperity,
  health, welfare, and continual safety.

  Psalm 20:5 says -"We will rejoice in Thy salvation..."
  Psalm 21:1 says - "...and in Thy salvation how greatly shall he rejoice."
  Psalm 27:1 says - "The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I
        fear?"
  Psalm 118:14 says - "The LORD...is become my salvation."

  David exclusively made the Lord the author of his temporal, spiritual, and
  eternal salvation. He expected help from Him alone. The saving arm of the
  Lord brought the expected deliverance from anticipated danger - filling
  his heart with joy and rejoicing.

  Besides producing joy, making God his "only salvation" also brought David
  deliverance from all fear! He knew that God was his "salvation." He knew
  that Omnipotence was for him...on his side... and his guard. Because he
  had the conviction that God was his friend, he had no disposition or cause
  to fear and no apprehension of danger.

  "He only is...my defense..."

  God was David's "only" refuge, elevated and defiant tower, lofty rampart,
  and high place out of the reach of his enemies.

  Psalm 9:9 says - "The LORD also will be a refuge for the oppressed, a
        refuge in times of trouble."
  Psalm 46:7 says - "The LORD of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our
        refuge."
  Psalm 59:9 says - "Because of his strength will I wait upon Thee: for God
        is my defense."

  David looked at the power of his enemies and assessed that it was very
  great. It was beyond his power to resist. He recognized their power to
  oppress, crush, break, afflict, wrong, and tread him down with tyranny and
  injustice. So he ran to the LORD of hosts who has command over all armies
  and to the God of Jacob Who appeared to Jacob in his time of distress and
  trouble and made Him alone his high place from the enemy.

  David said of the Lord - "He only is my rock and my salvation; He is my
  defense..."

  What was the result of his making the Lord his "only" security in
  danger...his all-sufficient help...and his high place from the enemy?

  No matter what his enemies attempted, he wasn't shaken in his faith. He
  was filled with courage and fortitude.

  In threatening times, some trust in themselves, their fellow-man, or
  leaders. But David found that man cannot be relied upon. He is nothing
  more than a "broken reed." That is why - through a "revelation" from the
  Father - he developed an "only the Lord" mentality!

  Are you facing threatening times, O Saint of God?

  Then do as Peter and David did. Place your entire focus on God. Allow Him
  to take you from a surface knowledge to a deeper eternal vision of His Son
  which "flesh and blood" cannot reveal. Allow Him to reveal Jesus as your
  "only" "rock," "salvation," and "defense" - to the point of not being
  "greatly moved" or "moved" by what is happening around you.

  Remember - anyone who makes Jesus the ground of his confidence and
  strength can have the following confidence that he will "not be greatly
  moved."

  In closing, we leave you with two quotes -

  "We cannot too often hear the toll of that great bell only; let it ring
  the death knell of all carnal reliances, and lead us to cast ourselves on
  the bare arm of God." - Charles Spurgeon

  "In life's most threatening times, you will be at peace if God alone is
  your salvation and refuge." - Steven J. Cole

        "God alone" is your answer!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment