Tuesday, October 11, 2016

sleep


The following excuses have been suggested if you get caught sleeping on the job:

"They told me at the blood bank this might happen."

"This is just a 15-minute power nap like they raved about in that time-management course you sent me to."

"Whew! I must have left the top off the liquid paper."

"I wasn't sleeping! I was meditating on the mission statement and envisioning a new paradigm!"

"This is in exchange for the six hours last night when I dreamed about work!"

"Just pacing myself for the all-nighter tonight!"

"Someone must have put decaf in the wrong pot."

"Boy, that cold medicine I took last night just won't wear off!"

"Ah, the unique and unpredictable circadian rhythms of the workaholic!"

"I'm sorry, I thought you (the boss) were gone for the day."

"Oh, man! Come in at 6 in the morning and look what happens!"

"...and I especially thank you for my excellent boss, Amen!"

There's nothing wrong with sleeping. It's just that there's a proper time to do it and an improper time. The term "sleep" is sometimes used in the New Testament as a euphemism for death, but it is also used at times to describe our inactivity, our failure to live for the Lord. Listen to this admonition from Paul:

"....It is high time to awake out of sleep; for now our salvation is nearer than when we first believed. The night is far spent, the day is at hand. Therefore let us cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armor of light." (Romans 13:11-12).

Have a great day (and try to stay awake)!

No comments:

Post a Comment