Tuesday, October 11, 2016

worthy


One Sabbath morning, a preacher cut his face while shaving, and he placed a band-aid on the cut. After a longer-than-usual sermon, he explained, "In case you are wondering what happened to my face, while shaving I was concentrating on my sermon and I cut my face." Afterwards, a woman said to him, "Next time, concentrate on your face and CUT THE SERMON."

The minister selected a fifty-cent item at a convenience store, but discovered he didn't have any money with him. "I could invite you to hear me preach in return," he said jokingly to the owner, "but I'm afraid I don't have any fifty-cent sermons." "Perhaps," suggested the owner, "I could attend twice."

That raises an interesting question -- how much are sermons worth? I can honestly say that some of mine have not been worth nearly as much as others. But if a sermon has effectively communicated the truth of God's Word in such a way that we are led to understand better and to make application in our lives, then it is worth a great deal.

"How then shall they call on Him in whom they have not believed? And how shall they believe in Him of whom they have not heard? And how shall they hear without a preacher? And how shall they preach unless they are sent? As it is written: 'How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the gospel of peace, who bring glad tidings of good things!' " (Rom. 10:14-15)

Have you told your preacher lately what good-looking feet he has?

No comments:

Post a Comment