Saturday, May 27, 2017

teacher


As those of you who are college students know, at the end of each semester you are asked to fill out a form evaluating the teacher and the text. The following comments were taken from MIT forms in the fall of 1991:

"Have you ever fell asleep in class and awoke in another? That's the way I felt all term."

"The recitation instructor would make a good parking lot attendant. Tries to tell you where to go, but you can never understand him."

"Text is useless. I use it to kill roaches in my room."

"In this class, the syllabus is more important than you are."

"Text makes a satisfying `thud' when dropped on the floor."

"Textbook is confusing... Someone with a knowledge of English should proofread it."

"Help! I've fallen asleep and I can't wake up!"

"Recitation was great. It was so confusing that I forgot who I was, where I was, and what I was doing -- it's a great stress reliever."

"He is one of the best teachers I have had...He is well-organized, presents good lectures, and creates interest in the subject. I hope my comments don't hurt his chances of getting tenure."

"He teaches like Speedy Gonzalez on a caffeine high."

"Information was presented like a ruptured fire hose -- spraying in all directions, no way to stop it."

"What's the quality of the text, you ask? `Text is printed on high quality paper.'"

I can remember that it was easier to say nice things about some of my teachers in college than it was some of the others. However, when it comes to evaluating my spiritual "Teacher" and his text, I can't begin to say enough good things. How would I evaluate the text?

"All Scripture is given by God and is useful for teaching, for showing people what is wrong in their lives, for correcting faults, and for teaching how to live right. Using the Scriptures, the person who serves God will be capable, having all that is needed to do every good work." (2 Tim. 3:16-17, NCV)

And the teacher?

"LORD, teach me what you want me to do, and I will live by your truth. Teach me to respect you completely. Lord, my God, I will praise you with all my heart, and I will honor your name forever. You have great love for me...." (Psa. 86:11-13a).

Praise to Him who is the greatest teacher we have ever known! May our ears always be attentive to his instruction!

No comments:

Post a Comment