Friday, January 11, 2019

echoes

In his book Growing Strong in the Seasons of Life, author Charles Swindoll shares the following:
 " A young boy lived with his grandfather on the top of a mountain in the Swiss Alps. Often, just to hear the sound of his own voice echoing back to him, he would go outside, cup his hands around his mouth, and shout, "HELLO!" Up from the canyons the reply reverberated, "HELLO... HELLO... hello... hello..." Then he would call out, "I LOVE YOU... I LOVE YOU... I love you... I love you..."

" One day the boy seriously misbehaved and his grandfather disciplined him severely. Reacting violently, the child shook his fist and screamed, "I HATE YOU!" To his surprise, the rocks and boulders across the mountainside responded in kind: "I HATE YOU... I HATE YOU... I HATE YOU... I hate you... I hate you..."

" And so it is in life. We get in return exactly what we give. It all comes back. If we wish for a marriage that is gracious, loving, and supportive, the feelings must be reciprocal. For a friendship to exist, the relationship must be a two-way street

" If you want others to judge and condemn you, you start it. If you want them to be understanding, broad-minded, and loving--then begin by being that way yourself. Jesus best exemplied the law of echoes when He said, 

"Treat men exactly as you would like them to treat you...Don't judge other people and you will not be judged yourselves. Don't condemn and you will not be condemned. Forgive others and people will forgive you. Give and men will give to you... For whatever measure you use with other people, they will use in their dealings with you" (Luke 6:31, 37-38, PHILLIPS).

 " Today, remember that our deeds and words serve as echoes to those around us. May our lives echo the love and grace of our loving God.

No comments:

Post a Comment