Wednesday, May 1, 2019

obsession

What is your number one desire in life right now? Go ahead and think about it for second because this is the most important question you'll be asked all day. If you could have your heart's desire this very instant, what would it be?

The degree of whole-person spiritual satisfaction that you are enjoying in your life right now is directly related to your answer -- to your chief desire. There is one desire that leads to the manifestation of all other desires. This one desire will propel you down the path of self-discovery, awareness and spiritual passion.

What is the one desire that unlocks our dreams?

David in Psalm 27 puts it like this: 

"One thing I ask of the Lord, this is what I seek:
that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the
days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the
Lord and to seek him in his temple," (NIV).

David's singular desire was the daily fellowship of God in his life.

In the Bible, a relationship with God is always personal because God isn't a force He is a self-determining being with thoughts, feelings and plans. David's consuming obsession, his burning desire was to exist in the presence of God Himself.

His confidence in God and his communion with God were his antidotes to fear because God was his instruction, salvation, satisfaction and supply. It was this intimate relationship with God that led David to write, "The Lord is my shepherd, I won't lack for anything..." (Psalm 23).

It also caused him to encourage us with this promise from Psalm 25:13, (NIV) --

"He will spend his days in prosperity, and his descendants will inherit the land."

This promise is speaking about material blessing. Many Christian teachers and commentators  quickly pass over this verse -- and they're wrong for doing so.  To David, God WAS life, and He provided everything he needed to be happy,  working from the inside out.

In an abiding, intimate relationship with Jesus, our minds are enlightened, our doubts removed, our hearts are comforted, and our lives are blessed spiritually and materially.

But the abundance we seek -- our burning desire is not for the material but for the spiritual. The abundant life that Jesus offered and promised in John 10:10 was the inexhaustible supply of His indwelling abiding presence.

And this is what David sought.

It's what I seek. Of all the things I've been blessed to have, know or experience, nothing compares with the daily companionship of God. I wouldn't trade it for all the money in the world.

The reality of God's active presence in our lives IS abundance and whole-person wealth. 

With Him, I've learned, that even when I don't have everything I THINK I need, I don't lack for anything because I'm exactly where I need to be right now, and, in God, I have everything I need in that situation to manifest His desire to increase my joy.

It's a totally different way of thinking about things.
It's a revolutionary approach to life.
It's part of the secret of being fully alive, fully satisfied, and fully happy. 

Abundance isn't something that I'm working toward.
Abundance is my reality right now because it's not tied to the manifestation of money or wealth but to the manifestation of God's presence and His will for my life right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment