Friday, February 28, 2020

...initiative

From Genesis to Revelation, we find God taking the initiative in relating to his creation. He seeks Adam and Eve in the Garden (Genesis 3:9). He sends Joseph to Egypt, Moses to Pharaoh, David to Goliath, Daniel to the king of Babylon, and Paul across the Roman Empire. 

Religion is about our climbing up to God; Christianity is about God climbing down to us. The entire story of his dealings with us is one of a shepherd seeking lost sheep, taking the incarnational initiative to go to those who could not come to him. 

As a result, you and I are not to respond to immorality with passivity. We are to be change agents, taking light to the dark and the gospel to the gates of hell (Matthew 5:13–16; 16:18). 

Look for ways to work with others. And choose the battles God wants you to wage. Christians need to be known for what we’re for, not just for what we’re against. The Lord will lead you to the issues he wants you to address. Define your gifts and influence, then use them for the kingdom. This is our side of the divine-human partnership.

When David was taking refuge from Saul in a cave, he prayed, “Be merciful to me, O God, be merciful to me, for in you my soul takes refuge; in the shadow of your wings I will take refuge, till the storms of destruction pass by” (Psalm 57:1).
David believes that God has not abandoned him: “I cry out to God Most High, to God who fulfills his purpose for me” (v. 2). The darkness of the tunnel does not contradict the sovereignty of the engineer driving the train. 

As a result, David can claim, “He will send from heaven and save me; he will put to shame him who tramples on me” (v. 3). “Him who tramples on me” was King Saul, the tallest warrior and most powerful person in the land. Think of the most powerful person you know, then imagine that person seeking to kill you. Now proclaim that God will defend you and defeat this person. 

This is David’s faith, based on the fact that the One in whom he trusts is more powerful than his most powerful adversary. 

Such faith does not change his immediate circumstances: “My soul is in the midst of lions; I lie down amid fiery beasts—the children of man, whose teeth are spears and arrows, whose tongues are sharp swords” (v. 4). But it gives him joy in the present: “My heart is steadfast, O God, my heart is steadfast! I will sing and make melody!” (v. 7). And it gives him hope for the future: “I will give thanks to you, O Lord, among the peoples; I will sing praises to you among the nations” (v. 9). 

A shelter in a storm is helpful only when we seek its protection. 
Whatever your challenges today, you can say to God: “In you my soul takes refuge.”
-mark turman

No comments:

Post a Comment