Wednesday, March 25, 2020

...mentors

"It's the action, not the fruit of the action, that's important. You have to do the right thing. It may not be in your power, may not be in your time, that there'll be any fruit. But that does not mean you stop doing the right thing. You may never know what results come from your action. But if you do nothing, there will be no results." – Mahatma Gandhi

Gandhi must have been a long term planner and thinker. We usually are most concerned with what our actions will mean tomorrow or next week. We don't want to plant seeds and wait years for fruit! In reality my parent's actions still have "fruit" and so it is with you. 

Our grandparents, and probably their grandparents, have fruit [or rotten fruit] still harvesting. The same with the early mentors we had in life. Some school teacher, neighbor or youth coach may have said something that didn't click back in the day, but is now hitting home 10/20/30/40 years later.

I had several excellent role models and mentors in my 20's. They taught me some wonderful lessons, but I never realized their true value until many years later. I wish they were still here so I could thank them for all they have meant to me over the years. Their "fruit" is still growing.

What we do now, today, and every day, has a chance of affecting others in some way, for a very long time. The only question is—will there be any "fruit" that will grow years from now, as a result of what we do today and tomorrow and...?
-ray lammie

No comments:

Post a Comment