Tuesday, April 14, 2020

...applicant

After being interviewed by the school administration, the teaching prospect said, "Let me see if I've got this right? 
You want me to go into that room with all those kids, and do the following:
Correct their disruptive behavior
Observe them for signs of abuse
Monitor their dress habits
Censor their T-shirt messages
Instill in them a love for learning
Check their backpacks for weapons
Wage war on drugs and sexually transmitted diseases
Raise their sense of self esteem and personal pride
Teach them patriotism and good citizenship, sportsmanship and fair play
Teach them how to register to vote
Balance a checkbook
Apply for a job
You want me to check their heads for lice
Recognize signs of anti-social behavior
Make sure that they all pass the state exams
Provide them with an equal education regardless of their handicaps
Communicate regularly with their parents in English and Spanish by letter, telephone, conferences, email, homework hotline, web page, midterm newsletters, and report card
You want me to do all this with a piece of chalk, a blackboard, a bulletin board, a few books, a big smile, and a starting salary that qualifies me for food stamps
You want me to do all this and then you tell me I CAN'T PRAY?
– ed bradley

No comments:

Post a Comment