I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing John 15:5
Jesus didn't say the branch must strain, produce, or perform. He simply said it must *abide* — remain, stay attached, hold its position on the vine. Fruit was never the branch's achievement. It was the overflow of a life it didn't generate on its own. This is a hard picture for us to sit with, because so much of our spiritual life gets framed in terms of output — how much we read, how disciplined we are, how consistent our habits look. Jesus reframes the whole question. The issue was never effort. It was connection.
What Happens Apart from Him, Jesus doesn't leave the warning unspoken: "If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned." John 15:6 That's a sobering picture, but notice what causes the withering — not a moral failure in isolation, but disconnection. A branch doesn't die because it sins; it dies because it's cut off from the source of life. This should reshape how we think about our own dry seasons. The question isn't only "what did I do wrong?" but "where have I drifted from the vine?"
The Simplicity of Staying, Ellen White captures why we so often struggle here — we try to carry a job that was never ours to carry: "Many have an idea that they must do some part of the work alone... But every such effort must fail. Jesus says, 'Without Me ye can do nothing.'" Steps to Christ, p. 68 Abiding isn't a technique to master. It's closer to what Paul describes elsewhere — a life increasingly lived by another's strength: "I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me." Galatians 2:20
A Question to Sit With
If fruit is the natural result of staying connected rather than something you manufacture, where has your energy lately gone into producing instead of abiding?
Lord Jesus, I don't want to labor for fruit that was only ever meant to grow out of staying close to You. Teach me today what it means to simply remain — in Your word, in prayer, in quiet dependence. Let my life bear what only comes from You. In Jesus' name
No comments:
Post a Comment