Wednesday, September 30, 2026

.....privilege

But he himself went a day's journey into the wilderness, and came and sat down under a juniper tree: and he requested for himself that he might die; and said, It is enough; now, O LORD, take away my life 1 Kings 19:4

Elijah had just won the most dramatic spiritual victory of his life on Mount Carmel. Fire fell from heaven. The nation watched Baal's prophets exposed as powerless. And one chapter later, he's alone under a bush, asking God to let him die. I used to find that jump jarring. Now I find it strangely comforting. If a prophet who just saw fire fall from heaven could collapse into that kind of despair, then my own crashes after a spiritual high, or in the middle of ordinary exhaustion, aren't a sign that something is wrong with my faith.

Elijah doesn't pretty up his request. He doesn't open with praise or soften his despair into something more acceptable sounding. He simply says what's true: it is enough, take my life. I've had moments where I thought I needed to arrive at prayer already composed, already hopeful, before God would want to hear from me. Elijah's prayer tells me otherwise. He brought God his collapse, not a polished version of himself.

What happens next is what I keep coming back to. God doesn't rebuke Elijah for his despair or lecture him on having just witnessed a miracle. He sends an angel to let him sleep, then feeds him, then lets him sleep again (1 Kings 19:5-7). Only after his body is cared for does God speak to him, and even then, in a still small voice rather than another dramatic display 1 Kings 19:11-12

I've had to learn that this is often how God meets me too — not always with the answer I expect, but with gentleness toward my exhaustion before He ever addresses the content of my fear.

What Ellen White Has Taught Me to Expect: We may not feel His visible touch, but His hand is upon us in love and pitying tenderness Steps to Christ, p. 97 I don't always feel that hand in the moment. Elijah probably didn't either, lying under that tree. But I've learned to trust it's there, even in the collapse, even before I've found the words to pray anything but "it is enough."

What I'm Asking Myself Today: Is there a "juniper tree" moment I'm currently sitting in, where I've held back from praying honestly because I think I need to feel more composed first?

Heavenly Father, like Elijah, I don't always come to You put together. Sometimes I come exhausted, afraid, ready to give up. Thank You that You meet me there with tenderness before You ever ask more of me. Let me bring You the real state of my heart today. In Jesus' name,

No comments:

Post a Comment